History of Grace Lutheran Church

In the fall of 1955 Pastor O. R. Heinitz of Crete, Nebraska was called to Grand Island to proceed with the organization of a second Missouri Synod congregation.  This was considered expedient since Trinity Lutheran Church, Grace’s mother congregation, moved to its new location on North Wheeler, and a new congregation was desired in south Grand Island.  There were 20 people who attended the first service, held November 6, 1955, in the Stratton Hotel.

 

In February 1956, Grace voted on a constitution and became a congregation of the Southern Nebraska District of the LCMS retroactive to January 8, 1956.  Later that year, September 30, ground breaking for a new building took place and a cornerstone was laid April 30, 1957.  The first service was on Thanksgiving Day, November 28, 1957.

 

The pastors who have served Grace: + O. R. Heinitz (1956-1965),  + Merrill Kluhsman (1966-1969), Jack Heck (1970-1978), + Rudoph Gehle, em. (1974-1984), + Elmer Reimnitz (1979-1987), + Herbert Schutte, em. (1991-2002), Stuart Burt (2008-2013), Daniel Bremer (1988-Present)